The ultimate, FREE Physics club for expert Physicists, aspirant Physicists and Physics admirers!

HomeFAQRegisterSearchLog inLIGHTWEEKContact the ownerLink Banck to co.nr

Share | 

The DIFFERENCE between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nevana

PostSubject: The DIFFERENCE between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR?   Sat May 07, 2011 4:03 am

Hello,
I'm currently studying this in school but I'm confused at the difference between the two? I know that electromagnetic induction is when a voltage is induced in a conductor e.g. a coil which experiences a change in magnetic field, but does the coil already have a current flowing through it?

I'm just confused between the electric motor and generator as isn't the coil on the two rotate in the same direction?
I just don't understand what's the difference between a slip ring commutator and slip rings!

Please help! D:
Back to top Go down
The Administrator
TOPC administerator

PostSubject: Re: The DIFFERENCE between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR?   Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:16 am

In one short sentence: an electric motor converts electric energy into mechanical energy i.e. it rotates when you supply electricity, like a fan.
An electric generator is a device used to create electricity by mechanically rotating it and creating a varying magnetic field (due to rotation) which then induces electric current into the coils/wires.

Back to top Go down
http://theonlinephysicsclub.clubdiscussion.net
smarter

PostSubject: Re: The DIFFERENCE between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR?   Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:47 pm

To "The Administrator"'s response, it isn't entirely true because an electric motor also conduct electricity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The DIFFERENCE between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR?   

Back to top Go down

The DIFFERENCE between an ELECTRIC MOTOR & A GENERATOR?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1